Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sense of Accomplishment

Once again, my faithful reader(s), I have been lax in my blogging. Let's get you all up to date.

The school year is over, and for all those who are interested, I did quite well. For all those who aren't... you're just jealous.

And get this guys....I'm exercising. I'm jogging on a regular basis, running in progressively larger circles until I get lost somewhere in West Virginia. I actually tried running with one of my dogs today. One bit of advice I should give you pet-owning runners out there: Make sure you let them go to the bathroom before you take them running. Otherwise, you'll be running along at a regular pace listening to the Braveheart soundtrack (I get the image of a highlander trekking across the landscape, it motivates me...shuttup) and all of a sudden you feel a jerk on the line. You give it a tug, thinking your dog just stopped to sniff at something..... not the case. You turn around and you're dragging your dog across someone's driveway and she's dropping pellets every two feet. Not good.

Well, in the pursuit of bodily health, I took up a game of basketball with our old friend Joe. It's been a while since I've played (because I suck) but apparently flip flops are not the foot garment of choice. Another interesting note is that the only basketball we could find was a fancy "glow-in-the-dark" one, which doesn't really make sense since the hoop doesn't glow in the dark. There are lot of claimed "swishes" when we play at night.

Sidenote: I really do suck. Joe was playing PIG, while I was playing PORK CHOP (yeah, he still beat me). Not only that, but every time I shoot, my left leg just has this insistent urge to flail, like I'm skipping over a puddle.

Well, we were wrapping up our game when Joe notices that there is a kite stuck high up in a tree next to the court. Being the civic-minded young men that we are, we took it upon ourselves to rescue the stranded kite.

Lacking both a ladder and a migrant worker to shimmy up the tree and grab our fruit, we settled on our next best tools: my flip-flops and Joe's glow-in-the-dark basketball. We were only heaving our various implements for a few seconds when....one of them didn't come down. That's right, our basketball was now stuck in the tree as well. And not just stuck, it was wedged in a perfect basketball-shaped cradle. Honestly, if that had been what we wanted, it couldn't have gone any better. As it was, we now had a basketball stuck in a tree.

The next twenty minutes was spent intermittently changing from shaking the tree to throwing flip flops and sneakers at it (Joe took his shoes off for added ammunition). As the sun began setting, the inherent property of the glow-in-the-dark basketball began to show itself, giving off a pale yellow light. It brought a crowd of onlookers from a little girl's soccer team that was practicing next to us. It actually would have been quite a magnificent sight if it weren't for the two tiring college boys cursing this ungodly sycamore in progressively higher tones, much to the excitement of the children.

Well, finally, an expertly thrown flip-flop from yours truly was able to dislodge the glowing basketball. When I picked it up I thought I might get super-basketball powers like in Space Jam (anybody else remember the 90s?).

Anyway, Joe and I were then able to walk home with a good feeling of accomplishment. We conveniently forgot about the kite that was still up there.

BYAH!

Rob

No comments: